Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reducing the Race T-Shirt Pile

Periodically, I have to get rid of race T-shirts. Since I have been racing since 1983 and completed just under 500 races and volunteered at many others, I have accumulated a lot of shirts. It was time to get rid of some more. Many are so ugly I have never worn them. Others I have worn out. Those 100 percent cotton shirts turn yellow around the collar. Some may be salvagable. Of course, I have to keep the Tyler Azalea 10K shirt with big yellow azaleas (there is no such thing as an yellow azalea). Some I threw in the trash. Others I set aside to take to the mission. Others I saved for a quilt, in case I ever have one made. Now, when I pick up my packet at a race, I look at the T-shirt and try to decide which member of my family might like it. Then, I get their size. Sometimes, I guess right.
Anyway, I put on a nice T-shirt and ran 4.2 miles with the group on the trails at the park this evening. James, a workout buddy at Nautilus, joined us this evening. He has been working on his distance. He was previously up to 3 miles and I talked him into doing the 4.2 mile course with us. It was a new distance for him and he completed it without any problem. In fact, his GPS said the course was 4.4.

No comments: