Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Birthday

Today was my 71st birthday.  No big deal; it doesn't even put me in a new age group.  My son and I drove over to San Marcos in south central Texas this morning for Sam Houston State's first game in the Southland Conference baseball tournament.  Sam was the number 1 seed and lost to the number 8 seed.  However, it is a double-elimination tournament, so it is not over for Sam.  On the way back, we stopped in Caldwell, Texas to get gas.  At this particular station, gas was $3.36, cheaper than the other stations.  When I pulled up to the pump, a guy came out and started cleaning my windshield.  My first thought that it was a guy off the street trying to make a buck.  Then, I realized that he worked for the station and was cleaning everyone's windshield.  It has been many years since a service station attendent cleaned my windshield.  Of course, I remember the days when gas was 19.9 cents a gallon.  I would pull up to the pump in my 48 Chevy and get a dollars worth, which would last me most of the week.  Back then, you were not allowed to pump the gas yourself.  They did it, cleaned your windshield and checked a bunch of other things on your car.  My, how things have changed.
It was later than usual, but I worked out at Nautilus this evening and went to the track after dark and run laps.

No comments: