Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dog Days 5K

I got up early and put out the signs and set up the race clock for our running club's annual Dog Days 5K. My running 70 & Over running competition in the race was my old friend, Jerry Flanagan. About a half mile into the race, I saw him leave the course and run into an apartment complex, apparently trying to find a place to use the restroom. I figured that he would eventually catch up with me, but never saw him again until he was in an ambulance at the finish line. He had climbed over a fence in that apartment complex to find privacy. Then, he fell off the fence and broke his hip. Later, I visited with him in the Emergency Room and bragged about winning the 70 & Over age group. He will have surgery in a few days and hopefully he will recover quickly. My finish time at the race was a slow 37:30.

No comments: