Wednesday, May 28, 2008

8 Things About Me

I ran my 2.7 mile course around the campus this evening. Hot and humid, but otherwise uneventful. I got tagged by Curtis earlier to list 8 things about me. My response is a little slow, but so is my running.

1. I was born in Tyler, Texas, 8th of 9 children. My dad, who was born in 1881, was 60 when I was born.

2. After flunking out of junior college, I enlisted in the Army in 1961 and got out as a Staff Sergeant in 1965. I spent most of that time in the Army Chief of Staff’s Office at the Pentagon. Met Marilynn there.

3. I happened to be in the White House when Kennedy was assassinated. I worked around the clock for days handling communication for the Chief of Staff.

4. Later in 1965, I received a commission as a Second Lieutenant and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1984. Went to Vietnam with the 101st Airborne Division in 1967 and 1968. Got my bachelors in 1971 and masters in 1975.

5. I always ran some in the Army, but did not start running distance and racing until 1983. I have never enjoyed running and only do it for my health. Getting involved in every aspect of the sport, including streaking, helps me stay motivated.

6. I don’t consider anything out of the water as edible and have not eaten poultry since I was a kid.

7. I hate getting up early in the morning. If I were in charge, races would not start earlier than noon.

8. I never watch sitcoms and have not seen a movie in years (except Spirit of the Marathon).

No comments: