Monday, May 1, 2023

40 Years of racing

 I ran my first race on May 1, 1983 - 40 years ago today.  I was a lieutenant colonel, assigned to the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, Texas.  We were the Army's night fighting division, so we trained a lot at night.  The Commanding General decided to put on the Night Fighter's 10K at 3 o'clock in the morning on May 1, 1983.  I had never run that far, but I figured that if I could not make it, I could fall off into  the darkness and no one would see me.  There were 2,500 runners showed up and everyone carried a chemical light.  It looked like a big glowing green worm on the roads in the training area.  I finished in about 1:03:00 and was sore for a week.  That was the start of my racing career,  As of now, I have completed, 1,318 races, with no DNF's (Did Not Finish).  This afternoon, I went to the park and ran 3..4 miles, mostly on the trails.

    

No comments: