Friday, July 18, 2008

So Far So Good

With the hamstring problem yesterday, I took it easy all day today and ran laps at the track this evening - fortunately, without much discomfort. I'll try a longer road run tomorrow.
Being a streaker, injuries, especially lower extremity ones, become worrisome. You always think about injuries, ones that will stop your streak now or become worse and stop it later. My previous streak was stopped by appendicitus in mid-December 2002, the day after running the Sunmart 50K and two weeks short of five years. Stopping that streak was a no-brainer. I was in the hospital for four days hooked up to too many things. I missed 13 days and had to start all over again. Now, I have gotten past the five-year mark. There have been some days when it was really painful to get in a run. I certainly realize how fragile a running streak is. There are so many injuries and illnesses that could stop it cold. I don't enjoy running and streaking is a way to make myself do it. I am convinced that running in the heat, cold, rain and whatever has helped me build up immunity to the flu and maybe other things. I know that since I started streaking, I have not had the flu. Before streaking, I use to get it as much as anybody. Of course, my streak is nothing compared to the top guys in the U.S. At the top of the national streak list is Mark Covert of California, who hits 40 years on the 23rd of this month. I'm 134 on the list. The list is maintained by the U. S. Running Streak Association.

1 comment:

K said...

40 years?! That is incredible! I still need days of rest so I don't know how you guys do it.

I can't believe you don't enjoy running. I would never have guessed that. You always seem to be having a good time when I see you.