Thursday, July 17, 2008

Darn Hamstring

Lavonne and I did the outer loop (6.8 miles) at the park this morning. About a mile into the run, I turned my ankle on a root. While my ankle was okay, I pulled my left hamstring (the same one I pulled a little over a year ago). We finished the run, but it took longer than usual. I'll know more when I run tomorrow. The last one was not a streak stopper and I don't think this is one either.
My son, Lance Corporal Timothy, called from Cherry Point, North Carolina. He just got his orders for his first duty station. After he finishes his training next week, he will be assigned to the Marine base in Yuma, Arizona. That's great, because our daughter, Mary, and her Marine husband, Eric, are assigned there. Timothy is really looking forward to being with family. Marilynn and I were out there last August and it was 114 degrees every day. I learned very quickly to run well after dark. That place really makes you appreciate what the Badwater runners go through, with temperatures ranging from over 130 to down below freezing, during that 135-mile race.

3 comments:

K said...

Prayers for a quick heal on that Hamstring and safety for your family.

Curtis said...

Sorry to hear about that Ken. Make sure you give yourself plenty of R.I.C.E. That has reduced some of my injuries from what used to take weeks to a few days. I ice no longer than 20 minutes per hour. But I'll ice on the hour. I also try to stay away from the park when I'm injured as I tend to roll again too easily when I'm not 100%.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/rice.htm

Streaker said...

Thanks for the advice. It seems to feel better this morning. I'll know more when I go to the track this evening and run.