Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Park Mysteries

I have been running trails at the Huntsville State Park for the last 13 years or so. The park is a great local resource for runners, bikers and hikers.
On the south perimeter road, there is a spot where water runs over the road in wet weather. For years, there was a sign at that spot that said, "Amy's Crossing." It was a common reference point when describing different courses on the trails. However, no one I knew had any idea who Amy was or why there was a water crossing named after her. Well, I got an answer from the park superinendent, Chris Holm. Here it is:
"According to my sources...Amy was a past employee (Environmental Ed. Coordinator) who apparently, after a brief rain shower one day, called out the troops to rescue her when she got "stranded" on the other side of that creek crossing. When everyone showed up to assist, it was discovered that the water was only ankle deep and she ended up "saving" herself by simply walking across the creek."
Mystery One solved.
When running trails in the hot summer months, occasionally you run into pockets of cold air, which last only a few seconds. When running with Lavonne and Amy last Sunday, we ran into one of the pockets of cold air. Lavonne asked me what caused it. I have no idea and asked a few other trail runners. They said they experience the same thing but do not know what causes it. Lavonne is pretty persistent and emailed USA Today for an answer. She received a response and posted their explanation on her blog. Click here for a link.
Mystery Two solved.
We had a nice crowd for our 4.5 mile run on the trails this evening. It was Hans, Chris, John, Phillip, Andrew and Karen, Katie, me and my Marine son, Timothy. Curtis had just finished his run when we arrived. We did not experience any pockets of cold air, but we did pass Amy's Crossing.

4 comments:

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Where are these cool pockets? I've never noticed before.

Streaker said...

I have run into them many times over the years, but never noted where they were. So, I'm not sure if they stay in the same place. Lavonne and I hit one last Sunday on the inside trail about 4/10ths of mile before getting to the dam. The next time I run that trail I'll see if its still there.

K said...

Can I buy some of those cool pockets??

Curtis said...

one area that I experience them nearly everytime I run it is on the road coming into the park.