Sunday, March 24, 2019

Tyler Azalea 10K

I ran laps at the track Friday morning and drove up to Tyler (135 miles) to run the Tyler Azalea 10K Saturday morning.  I have run this race several times over the years, but it was under new management this year.  Everything about the race was good this year, except that someone removed turn signs on the course (5K and 10K) and everything got screwed up on the course.  I was running with a girl I met on the course and we and others were stopped at over 2 miles and we told to run back the same way.  According to her GPS, we ran 4.4 miles total.  Runners at the finish line reported running different distances.  They cancelled the awards ceremony and the race director told me that they would give discounts for next year.  My official finish time was 1:03:07.  After the race, I met and visited with two guys, who were brothers of football great, Earl Campbell.  Neither ran the race.  Saturday afternoon, I took two grandkids to the Tyler Zoo, so I am sure I made up the mileage I missed in the 10K.  I drove back to Huntsville late this morning and got back in time for our club's annual Run the Trails at Huntsville State Park at 2 p.m.  Before the race, I ran 1.3 miles on the trails and then drove down to another trail head and ran (with my good camera) about 3/4th of a mile to a spot on the course to direct runners and take photos.  Busy weekend.

No comments: