Sunday, September 1, 2013

Westfest Challenge 5K

My wife and I and our friend, Leah, left my house at 5 a.m. this morning for the long drive over to West (north of Waco) for the Westfest Challenge 5K.  The race starts and finishes in the middle of the Westfest.  West is the small town that had the fertilizer plant explosion last April that killed 15 people.  It is a community of Chech people.  I finished in 38:42 and was third of six in the 70 and over age group.  Leah was second in her age group.  After the race, we attended a Polka Mass in a pavillion at the festival.  It is a regular Catholic Mass, except the music is provided by a polka band.  We have never been to a Polka Mass before and the music was most enjoyable.  During the last mile of the race, I developed pain and swelling in my left knee.  When I got home, I took a nap with an ice pack around the knee.  I intended to drive down to The Woodlands this evening for the Sunday Night 5K.  I had to go down and meet my son to give him something, so I went down to the race.  There was no way I could run, but I was there to support two other club members running the race, including Leah.  Hopefully, a good night's sleep tonight will help the knee.

No comments: