Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fallen Runner

Marilynn and I went up to Dallas Friday morning and got back this evening. After I got home, I soon learned that my good friend, John Burick, was struck and killed by a vehicle while running the roads in Huntsville on Friday morning. I am deeply saddened. We were neighbors for many years and attended the same church. And, he was a member of the Seven Hills Running Club for many years. He was one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. John, 75, was a veteran of many marathons. He ran the Huntsville 5K on October 11 (won 1st place in his age group). Last Saturday, John and several other club members ran the Shiitake Mushroom Festival 5K in Madisonville. He passed me and ended up winning the 70 and over age group. I will miss him. My condolences to Rosalie and to the rest of his family.

2 comments:

K said...

I didn't know John, but his passion for life, for running is an inspiration to us all.

My deepest condolences to you, Ken, and to his family.

Streaker said...

Thanks, Karen. I will pass on your condolences to his family. Marilynn and I visited with them this morning and I know that they need support to get through this very trying time.