Sunday, September 29, 2019

Texas 10 Series Sienna 10-Miler and my first ride in an ambulance

I got up at 4 this morning to make the drive down to Missouri City for a 7 a.m. start of the Texas 10 Series Sienna 10-miler.  Hot, extremely humid, sunny, concrete course and no wind.  I took on extra fluids at the aid stations, but struggled to finish.  I ran the whole race, but my time was about 20 minutes slower than my worst time in a Texas 10 Series race.  While sitting down and trying to hydrate after the race, my vision got blurry and I was approached by an EMT.  Then, I threw up all the water that I had taken down.  They put me in the ambulance and gave me an IV.  While the IV was going, they checked my heart and found it not functioning right (I'm not sure I understood what it was doing or not doing).  Anyway, they transported me to the hospital emergency room.  More IV's, heart tests and a medication to bring down my heart rate.  I was finally released just after 3 this afternoon and got home about 5.  Thanks to my friends, Gretchen and Steve for their support, especially to Steve for hanging out at the hospital and driving me back home.  It was running streak day 3,633 and 19 days from 10 years.

2 comments:

Miles of the Journey said...

Thank God for the folks there that supported you, Ken. But, this is scary stuff. I am so sorry about this. Prayers.

Streaker said...

Yes, dehydration can creep up on you. There was a guy who had a heart attack on the course. They were working on him when. I was told that at one point he was in critical condition, but later in stable condition. Hope and pray that he is okay.