Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Old newspaper photo


Last night, I was going through some old Seven Hills Running Club files and came across this November 26, 1997 article in our local newspaper.  The month before, a 45-year old Houston police officer died of a heart attack while running our club's Huntsville Half Marathon.  I was the race director and club president.  He fell on the course and four CPR-qualified people tried in vain to save him.  One was a race road guard, another worked at the beauty shop across the street and two were driving by and stopped to help.  I presented all four with plaques at a city council meeting in the presence of the officer's widow.  I did not realize it until I saw the article last night that one of the four was Marcus Luttrell.  He later became a national hero as the "Lone Survivor."  Click on the photo above to enlarge.
      This evening, I ran 2.5 miles on the trails at the park.

No comments: