Sunday, October 4, 2015

Audie Murphy Hero 5K and Sunday Night 5K

Friday afternoon, I drove up to Wylie to spend the weekend with my my and his family.  We went to the high school football game that night.  I could not believe how cold it was (low 50's)  sitting in those stands.  It was a good thing I brought my jacket.  I got up early Saturday morning and drove 16 miles up to Farmersville to run the Audie Murphy Hero 5K.  For those who may not know who Audie Murphy was, he was the most decorated soldier in WWII.  After the war, he became a movie start.  He starred in his own biography, To Hell and Back, and many westerns.  Farmersville was his hometown.  It was a nice small 5K in the middle of a local festival.  Probably 30 to 40 runners.  The course was a single loop around the town and the temperature was perfect for running.  I finished in 37:57 and was first in the 70 and over age group (yes, I was the only one).  After the 3-hour drive back down to Huntsville this afternoon, I drove down to The Woodlands to run the Sunday Night 5K.  Because of construction, the course had to be modified.  It turned out to be 2.9 miles.  My friend, Jon Walk, and I ran together and we finished in 34:48.  This was my 64th race this year;  my 826 lifetime race and my 2,177th consecutive day of running.

No comments: