Friday, December 21, 2012

End of the World Marathon


I am almost too tired and sleepy to write this report.  I drove down to Humble near Houston this morning for the End of the World Marathon.  It was a one-time race, but they are having the Day After the End of the World Marathon tomorrow at the same place.  Except for about 1 tenth of a mile, the entire race was held off road.  High grass, ruts, mud, rocks, roots, deep sand, some nice hard ground.  The course was 4 loops of 6.55 miles.  My goal was to finish without spraining an ankle and I accomplished that goal.  During the race, I visited with Larry Macon of San Antonio.  He is the world record holder for the most marathons in one year.  He said that he will break his old record this year with 150!  That's about 3 a week.  How do you find that many and get to them?  I also visited with Yolanda Holder of California.  She is the female record holder (no pun intended).  She said that she will break her own record this year with 120.  While I did not meet him, Jim Simpson was also at the race.  He is closing in on 1,000 lifetime marathons.  These people are amazing.  I am a wimp with 89 lifetime.  Had a lot of other friends at the race and it was great visiting with them on the course and after the race.  While few people seem to care, the course was long.  I knew that after completing my first loop.  The consensus of the runners with a GPS was that the course was 28 miles, rather that 26.2.  That extra distance and going slow to avoid an ankle sprain gave me an excuse to run about 7:45:00.  The finisher medal was 1.1 pounds.  Tomorrow, I will take a photo of it and post it here.

No comments: