Saturday, September 10, 2011

Burritos and Beer

Yesterday, I ran laps at the track before heading for New Braunfels for the Gruene 10K this morning. Because of the wildfires around Bastrop and road closures, I had to take the long way to get to New Braunfels, 200 miles, 4 hours and heavy rush hour traffic in Austin. It was very painful sitting on my hamstrings that long and I had to stop and walk around several times. The race was at Gruene Hall, which is the oldest dance hall in Texas (built in the 1880's). Nice weather this morning and a nice race. There were about a thousand runners. After the race, they served burritos and beer and live country music. I finished in 1:16:38 (4th of 5 in my age group). I made the drive back to Huntsville, with several stops to get off my hamstrings. I took a 30-minute nap and then drove 100+ miles to Frankston, Texas to attend my nephew's retirement party. He is retiring after serving 32 years as a Texas State Trooper. Got back home about an hour ago. Long day.

No comments: