Sunday, January 16, 2011

USA Fit Marathon

I ran the USA Fit Marathon in Sugar Land (south of Houston) this morning. The race was suppose to start at 7 a.m., but was delayed 45 minutes. This was apparently due to a traffic jam and not all runners being able to get to the start area. The entire course was on concrete streets. I noticed that on the back of the finisher shirt, they had the phrase, "Kicking Asphalt." I wish it was asphalt we were kicking. It was cold, windy and rainy. We started in the rain, but it seem to let up during the mid-miles but then came down hard during the last 6 miles or so. As I feared, I ended up with a large blood blister on the side of one of my toes. I finished in 5:49:39, 20 seconds slower than my marathon last Saturday. After the race, I went to my truck and ran the heater at full blast for a long time. After I thawed out, I changed into some dry clothes in my truck. I do not have another marathon until January 30, so hopefully my blister will heal by then.

No comments: