Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mississippi Blues Marathon


I ran the roads in Huntsville early Friday morning before driving to Jackson, MS for the Mississippi Blues Marathon on Saturday. I went straight to the race expo and immediately ran into Texas friends, Steve and Paula Boone from Humble and David Johnson from Odessa. All four of us were wearing our Texas Marathon T-shirt from last Saturday. The temperature in Jackson during the race on Saturday ranged from the high 30's to the high 40's. It was clear, but very windy and the course was very hilly. We started and finished in downtown Jackson, but most of the course seemed to be through various neighborhoods. I ran a fairly steady pace the entire race and never walked, except through the aid stations. I finished in 5:49:19. There were 665 finishers in the marathon and 914 in the half. The finisher medal was nice and the race packet included a blues music CD, a harmonica and Elvis sunglasses, complete with built-in sideburns. After the race, I drove to Alexandria, LA, spent the night and drove back to Huntsville today. It was cold and raining in Huntsville, so I wimped out and ran the treadmill at Nautilus this evening.

No comments: