Friday, September 5, 2008

Stretch, Stretch, Stretch

I had a long doctor's appointment this morning, going into the afternoon Beside heat, massaging and lasers, they treated my hamstring with an electronic machine that goes deeper than the normal ultra-sound. I can't remember what they called it. They also stretched the hamstring. The doctor wants me to stretch the hamstring before I run and three more times a day. I have two more appointments next week.
I went straight from the doctor's office to the track to run laps. I'm doing the Bearkat Bash 5K at Klein HS in Spring tomorrow morning. It's one of those races that I do every year. This will be seven in a row. I don't recall ever placing in the race; I seemed to always place 4th in my age group and John Chenette from Crockett seemed to always get the third place medal. Last year, I saw his wife, Barbara, during the race and asked where John was. She said that she would talk to me at the finish line. She told me at the finish line that John had passed away a couple months earlier. They had just finished a 5K training run and were driving home. He had a heart attack while driving and she managed to get their truck stopped. John was a super guy. He and I went to so many of the same races, including the Polish Pickle and Stu's Country Mile. And, he and his family always participated in the Huntsville Half Marathon & 5K. Well, I came in 3rd place in my age group at last years Bearkat Bash 5K. I took the medal, but I know that it really belongs to John. I look forward to visiting with Barbara tomorrow.

No comments: