Sunday, March 13, 2016

Longview Half Marathon

I drove up to Tyler Friday afternoon and then 43 miles over to Longview Saturday morning for the Longview Half Marathon.  Luckily, the rain held off until the end of the award ceremony.  Virtually all of the course was on the shoulder of major highways.  Water stops were few and far between, so I was a little concerned about hydration.  I learned quickly to take on plenty of water at each station.  At about 10 miles I started getting pain in my left foot and it never went away.  I finished in 2:57:21 (3rd place of 4 in the 70-74 age group).  I drove back to Tyler, took a nap and then went to visitation for my brother at the funeral home.  My left foot (ankle, I suppose) was sore, swollen and purple this morning.  Knowing that I would not get back to Huntsville until late tonight, I went for a run this morning in Tyler.  I ran for a little over a mile.  It was painful, but loosened up a little for the last half mile or so.  My brother's funeral was this afternoon and, as expected, I got back to Huntsville late this evening.  The streak is alive, but I have another half marathon to run this Saturday.  Hopefully, it will be okay by then.

No comments: