Saturday, May 23, 2015

Birthday

Today was my 74th birthday.  I celebrated by running three races.  I got up early and drove down to The Woodlands and ran the Run the Woodlands 5K at 8 a.m.  I finished in 38:50.  Then, I drove down to Houston and ran the Buffalo Bayou Brewery Run at 11:20.  It was suppose to be 4 miles, but according to my GPS, it was 4.3 miles.  In any case, it was non-competitive and I hung back with my niece from Houston.  We had to stop several times and wait for lights to cross major streets and I stopped once to hug Rachel, a member of our club who graduated from Sam Houston State and moved to Houston.  She happened to be out for a training run.  I also stopped briefly at the Gary Price Memorial Park Bench in Memorial Park.  Gary was a 45 year old Houston Police Officer, who died of a heart attack while running the Huntsville Half Marathon in 1997, while I was serving as the Race Director.  I finished the Buffalo Brewery Run in 59:20 and then enjoyed some good beer.  Then, I went to my niece's apartment in Houston and got a shower.  Then, I drove up to Cypress and had dinner with my son, Kenny.  That was followed by the Light Up the Lake 5K in Cypress at 7:30 p.m.  I finished in 38:50, which was the same time as the first race this morning.  I was the only runner in the 65 and over age group, so I received a nice plague for first place.  I finally got home about 10:30 tonight.  It was nice visiting with so many friends at all three races.

No comments: