Monday, October 14, 2013

Tyler Rose Marathon

We drove up to Tyler Saturday afternoon to run the Tyler Rose Marathon for the third time.  At packet pickup, I had a nice visit with my good friend, Loren Sheffer, publisher of the Texas Runner Triathlete.  He was there promoting his great magazine.  I also visited with my friend, Parvaneh Moayedi from San Antonio, who was there to run the marathon.  It would be her 153rd marathon in the last 12 months, setting a new world record.  She is an amazing athlete, so inspiring.  As expected, it was hot and humid on race day, temperature in the 80's and about as humid as it can get.  I usually do not wear a cap, but did so to keep the expected rain out of my eyes.  There was no rain during the race, except for a few sprinkles here and there.  I felt pretty good the entire race and ran a very steady pace.  I hit the halfway point at 3:06 and finished in 6:25:10.  Even though the course is up or down hills virtually the entire 26.2 miles, I never walked, except through the aid stations.  My slightly sprained ankle from the week before hurt, but was no worse than the regular hurts encountered during a marathon.  As it came out, I was the only runner in the 70 and over age group, so I won a nice age group winner medal.  We attended Mass Sunday evening at the Cathedral in Tyler and then my nephew's birthday dinner.  We drove back to Huntsville this morning.  I finally got back to Iron Works this evening for a workout and then ran 1.3 miles on the roads.  Next up is the Huntsville Half Marathon this Saturday.

No comments: