Saturday, April 13, 2013

Dumb me

I woke up at 3 this morning (alarm was set for 4),  Got dressed and went out to Huntsville State Park to volunteer at the Hog's Hunt 50K, 25K and 10K.  Starting at 4:45, I directed traffic coming into the race area.  Then, at 5:50, I drove my pickup over a mile on a jeep trail into the back of the park.  I set up and operated a water station and served as a course monitor until about 12:30 p.m.  On the way out of the park, I stopped often to removed flagging on the course.  Then, I really did something dumb.  I locked my keys in the truck, with the motor running.  Of course, my cell phone was in the truck.  I was still a mile from the gate at the Interstate service road.  Eventually, one of the volunteers from an aid station on the back side of the park pulled up behind me.  I called my wife on his cell phone and asked her to bring my other set of keys to the park.  Then, I cleared branches and stuff away so the other volunteer could get around my truck.  He drove me out to the gate and the service road, gave me a cold beer and then left.  Later, my wife showed up with the key.  She drove me to my truck and we both finally got out of there.  I was exhausted when I got home and took a nap.  Then, I went to the track and ran laps.

No comments: