Saturday, February 4, 2012

Character Flaw and Dogs

I got up at 5:15 this morning and went out to the park to turn in my chip and then run (unofficially)one of the three 16.67-mile loops of the Rocky Raccoon 50-Mile course. When I got to the park about 6:30 for a 7 a.m. start, it was lightning with a heavy rain. I had to park a long way from the start line. I sat in my truck. My hamstring burning and I had not gone to the restroom. It got close to 7 and I decided that I was not going to face the elements for an unofficial 16.67-mile training run. I went home and went back to bed. It must be a character flaw, but in retrospect, I feel like I wimped out. Later in the morning, I went back to the park, turned in my chip and visited with friends. This afternoon, I went to the Sam Houston State girl's basketball game, ran 3 miles on the streets in town and went back to the park to take some photos of our club volunteers on one of the aid stations.

Speaking of my 3-mile run in town. I was running past the house next to Wendy's on Sam Houston Ave. and a dog ran out to tell me that I was in his territory. Some college guys on the porch called him back and kindly offered me a beer. I declined and finished my run. About 20 years ago, I was running past the same house and a dog ran from the house and tried to grab my leg. I avoided the bite and a girl came out of the house and retrieved her dog. Late that same night, I was driving past the house in my Suburban, when the same dog chased a squirrel across the street in front of me. Unfortunately, I could not avoid hitting and killing the dog. Today, I did not stop and relate the story to the college guys; they may have perceived it as a threat, anyway. Sam Houston Ave. is a very busy street and I hope they keep their dog on a lease when it is outside.

1 comment:

Miles of the Journey said...

You are long overdue to pass up an event and not hurt yourself. No one in their right mind would ever call you a wimp. Of course, being the type of persons we are, we are our own worst critic.

Dogs: I have been bitten 3 times in the last 5 years. Have spent three afternoons waiting and waiting in emergency rooms. The dogs had no rabies shots. Unattended biting dogs seem to be the latest rage where I live. Everyone should have one or more. : )