Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rocky Raccoon 50-Miler


It was in the 20's at start of this race at Huntsville State Park. The course was three 16.67-mile loops on the trails that I am very familiar with. We started at 7 a.m. and I took it easy on the first loop. There are many bridges on the course, some over water and some over low places. They were all iced over. I went around the bridges spanning low places, but slipped and fell on my butt twice on others. The ice on the bridges had melted after the first loop and the temperature got up into the 50's. My only other falls were trips on the third loop. Most of the third loop was in darkness. Luckily, no injuries from the falls. My previous longest run was 50K (31 miles), so I did not know what to expect for the third loop. I took GU and electrolyte capsules every hour of the race and my legs kept going (though slowly). I finished in 15:16:27. I was a little disappointed in my time, but it was a PR (personal record). I think part of it was having run a marathon six days earlier. I am 69 and it was my 69th race of a marathon or longer distance.

3 comments:

Vince A. said...

Man you are tough! I ran 12.4 miles today and was worn out, I can't imagine doing that 4 times just a week after Houston. My hat is off to you, congratulations..

Anonymous said...

Great job Ken! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Great job Ken!! Congrats on the 69th ultra marathon! I still think you are crazy for running everyday. :)