Sunday, February 20, 2011

Austin Marathon


I ran the Austin Marathon today. I went into this race expecting a decent time. The 50 miler was two weeks ago and no marathon last weekend. I had a good night's sleep at the hotel in Austin last night and felt good at the start. For some reason I did not have the strength today. It was rather warm and humid in Austin, with very gusty winds. Of course, Austin is very hilly, too. Except for brief stops for fluids at the aid stations, I ran the entire distance. I finished in 6:21:09, which must be my slowest marathon ever. That's about 30 minutes slower than Houston just three weeks ago. I'm not sure what it was. My wife thinks it was the Philly Cheese-Steak, with fries, dinner that I had last night. I suppose that at age 69 any marathon finish is acceptable, so I'll take it. With the completion of Dallas White Rock in December, Houston in January and Austin today, I completed the Marathons of Texas series for the 2nd year in a row. With that comes a special medal. I'm taking it easy this week. I have marathons the next four weekends.

1 comment:

Vince A. said...

Well that was warmer than Houston with no rain to cool you off. Well done to finish the trifecta.