Sunday, January 31, 2010

Miracle Match Marathon

I ran the Miracle Match Marathon in Waco today and finished in 5:49:12 (3rd in age group). It was about 28 degrees at the start and did not get much above that for the rest of the race. There were even a few snow flurries. I wore shorts, long sleeve T-shirt, gloves and a sweat band over my ears and I was confortable the entire race. It is billed as the toughest marathon in Texas. Obviously, that is due to the steep hills between mile 14 and 24. Two years ago when I ran this race I finished in 6:03:52. So, today was an improvement. Finishers received a medal and a windbreaker. Nice. Plenty of aid stations and there were lots of freezing, but friendly volunteers. Logistically, the race is easy. Park in the Hilton parking lot, hangout in the hotel until race time and walk out the front door to the start line.