Thursday, September 10, 2009

Flat Land Training

Us runners who run hills everyday need to run flat lands once in a while. I went down to Houston this evening for the Houston Marathon Kick-Off Party at Memorial Park, picked up my in-training T-shirt, had a couple beers, visited with a lot of friends and then ran the flat 3-mile Memorial Park loop. I did interupt my run with a stop to visit the bench dedicated to 45 year old Gary Price, the Houston Police Officer who died of a heart attack during the Huntsville Half Marathon in 1997. It was my first visit to the bench since the Houston Police dedication ceremony in late 1997. May he RIP.

2 comments:

BearKaTrack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BearKaTrack said...

I agree with you about running on "flat land" once in a while. My experience has led me to believe that I run about 10 seconds per mile faster (when running at a moderate pace) on flat land than when I run in Huntsville. I also feel like I could handle 10-15 miles a week more if it weren't for the hills (and heat/humidity).

Of course, this is why I like training in Huntsvegas and racing in Houston :)