Sunday, October 26, 2008

Replacement Marathon


Since I wimped out and did not make it to the M2M last Saturday, I did the Miracle Match Marathon today in Waco. It is billed as the toughest marathon in Texas. The temperature was fairly cool for the first half and the hills were not so bad. Then, the hills strike and the temperature got into the 80's. These are really steep and some of the downhills were so steep there was no way to run down. It was up and down from about mile 14 to 24. I did the first half in 2:47, so I had ideas of finishing well under 6 hours. It didn't work out that way. I finished in 6:03:52, which was good enough for first place in my age group, hence two medals. My hamstring never bothered me during the race and I did not get the sharp pains in my right knee that knocked me out of the M2M. I had just the usual sore and stiff knees. I ran into fellow SHRC member, John Slate, at the start line. He ended up 2nd in his age group.

No comments: