Thursday, July 4, 2019

Stu's Country Mile 5K

I ran Stu's Country Mile 5K in Centerville this morning.  This was my 25th time running this race and my 24th consecutive year.  I finished in 43:36, one second faster than last year.  My good friend, Dennis Alston, was not there this year.  He is in my age group and always beats me.  Hope he is okay.  In any case, I was the only runner over 70 and got first place.

WANDA RETIRED.  After Stu's, our club members always have breakfast at the Town Cafe just off the square in Centerville.  We have been doing that for 24 years.  There was a blonde waitress who always waited on us in the back room.  A few years ago, I was going to Dallas on I-45 and decided to stop at the Town Cafe for breakfast.  When I walked in, the blonde waitress asked me what I was doing there.  "Its not the 4th of July."  She was not there this morning and the back room was turned into a smoking area.  We all had to sit at different tables in the main room.  I asked the young waitress about the blonde waitress who always waited on us.  She said, "the old lady?"  That was Wanda and she retired.  Guess, nothing stays the same.  We move to new traditions.  Good luck to Wanda.

No comments: