Thursday, October 7, 2010

Orthotics

I got up early this morning and drove nearly 3 hours to Fort Hood to be fitted for new custom orthotics. Four years ago, I had them made by a doctor in Houston and it cost me $500 out-of-pocket. Since then, the Army is making them for retirees, so there will be no cost to me. However, I am not sure what I am getting. In Houston, I stood on a plate hooked to a computer and this showed the doctor the pressure points. Then, he made a cast of both feet. This morning, the Army technician took a photo of my left foot with a 3-D laser. I asked about the right foot and he said that they would reverse the image for my right foot. The orthotics will be ready for pick up in about 4 weeks. I asked if they could mail them to me and he said no. I have to drive over there to get them. I appreciate the benefit, but it is sorta dumb that I have to drive back over there just to pick them up. In any case, I made it back to Huntsville about 4 this afternoon. I worked out at Nautilus and then met the group at the park. I have some sharp pain in my left knee, so I ran 3 miles on the roads at the park, while the group ran trails.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Well, you'd better hope that one foot is not larger than the other one. Ive never used orthotics but I cant imagine that being good at any rate.

Streaker said...

Thanks. I didn't even think about that. My right foot is actually longer than my left. In fact, I have read that 80% of people have one foot longer than the other. I'll wait and see how they work out.