Monday, February 8, 2016

All-America City 10K

Last Friday, I got up early and ran on Veterans Memorial Parkway in Huntsville.  I then dropped off my computer at the shop and then drove 405 miles down to Edinburg to visit my son and his wife for the weekend.
On Saturday morning, I ran the 34th Annual All-America City 10K in Edinburg, put on by the City of Edinburg.  I was totally impressed with this race.  I'm not sure how many runners there were, but last year there were 3,000 running the10K and another 4,000 running the 2-mile race.  There was $30,000 in prize money, so that drew several world class runners.  Two finished the 10K in less than 30 minutes.  What was really impressive was how the race drew so much support from the community, in terms of participation, spectators and sponsors.  The entry fee was only $10 and everyone got a nice T-shirt, finisher medal and plenty of refreshments.  There were several high school ROTC groups running in formation and plenty of other kids and older adults in the race.  The weather was perfect and the course was flat and fast.  The main streets of Edinburg were blocked off for the race and there were spectators and cheering squads lining the streets.  I finished in 1:19:58 and placed 7th of 11 in the 70-74 age group.
I drove back to Huntsville today and stopped to visit my son in Houston.  The first thing I did in Huntsville was pick up my computer.  They told me that it was slow because it was old (or maybe they were talking about me).
I worked out at Iron Works and ran laps at the track as it was getting dark.

No comments: