Saturday, February 15, 2014

Love.Run.Marathon


 


I ran the Love.Run.Marathon on the trails at Huntsville State Park this morning.  It was my 101st and last marathon and I ran it as my modest tribute to all those who served with the 101st Airborne Division.  That is the division I served with in Vietnam.  It was an amazing day.  I wore bib number 101.  Team RWB (red, white, blue) from the Houston and Dallas area came to run with me.  It is a national organization to support veterans.  They ran behind and beside me the entire race.  And, they carried flags, including the 101st Airborne Division flag.  I felt humbled and honored that they ran with me.  Really great people and they are dedicated to serving veterans.  During the race, I fell five times and skinned up my knee on the last fall.  Funny, I fell five times in the same race last year.  I finished the first half in 3:16 and had a slow second half. Finished the race in 7:13:01.  My finish was a major surprise.  There were air horns, two police cars with flashing lights, many cameras and the Army song was played on the loud speaker system.  I received my finisher medal, first in age group trophy and a beautiful plaque from the race committee commemorating my 101st marathon.  The race committee also had a huge cake for me and our Seven Hills Running Club gave me a jacket, embroidered with "101 Marathons."  Most importantly, many of my family members and running friends were there for my finish.  Jennifer, Dawn and the rest of the race committee for the Love.Run.Marathon and absolutely great and considerate people.  And, they do such a good job putting on this race.

No comments: