Friday, March 22, 2013

Marathon Goal

As of May 1, 2013, I will have been running races for 30 years.  Of the 645 races I have run, 95 have been a marathon or longer (73 marathons, 21-50K's and 1 50-Miler).  I will be 72 years old this May, so I have decided to retire from marathons after 6 more.  That will give me 101 and I will stop at that number.  I served in Vietnam with the 101st Airborne Division.  So, my 101st marathon will be to, in my small way, honor all Vietnam Veterans.  If you read my Facebook page, you will have already seen my remaining marathon schedule.  In any case, here it is:

96 - April 21 - Army Marathon, Killeen to Temple*
97 - October 13 - Tyler Rose Marathon, Tyler*
98 - November 9 - Soldier Marathon, Fort Benning, GA
99 - December 8 - BCS Marathon, College Station*
100 - January 1, 2014 - Texas Marathon, Kingwood*
101 - February 15 - Love.Run.Marathon, Huntsville State Park
          * Already signed up.

I will continue to run every day and continue to run races, just not marathons.  My goal is just to stay healthy and promote the sport of running.

I have a 10K race here in Huntsville tomorrow morning, so I ran laps at the track this afternoon.


1 comment:

Miles of the Journey said...

Amazing record, Ken. I hate to see you quit marathons but I understand. Sometimes enough is enough. God bless you.