Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rock Island 4H Hempstead Watermelon Festival 5K

I drove a little over an hour to Hempstead this morning for the Rock Island 4H Hempstead Watermelon Festival 5K.  I ran this race in 1996 (28:03) and they have not had it since until this year.  The course was fairly flat and through neiborhoods near downtown and the Watermelon Festival.  Rather small, less than 100 runners.  The course seemed accurate and I thought I ran fairly well.  I finished in 34:53, which was my best time since pulling and tearing my hamstrings last summer and fall.  I finished 2nd of 4 or 5 in the 60 and over age group.  Besides a 2nd place medal, I was given a framed certificate for being the oldest runner in the race.  Then, I also got a free watermelon.  What a deal!
After the race, I drove over to Fleet Feet in The Woodlands to return the Saucony shoes I bought in May.  I ran in them for 29 days (69 miles) and the right heel wore out.  They gave me store credit for the full price of the shoes.  That was nice of them.  I will buy another pair of Asics from them when they get them in.

No comments: