Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Back from North Carolina

Just got back from visiting my daughter and her family in Richlands, North Carolina. I drove 715 miles today and went to the track at 10 tonight to run laps.
On October 9, I ran the Tyler Rose Half Marathon in Tyler, Texas. I ran slow and steady and luckily did not trip on the red brick streets. My concern was not to do anything to reinjure my hamstring. Hilly course and a temperature up in the 80's. The finish line was in the middle of the largest municipal rose garden in the U.S. Nice setting. I finished in 3:00:41 (1st place of two in my age group). However, I had regrets about not running the full marathon.
The next day, I left from Tyler and drove to Lincoln, Alabama. Got there just in time to get in a run before it got too dark. Drove on to Richlands the next day. When I stopped for gas somewhere in South Carolina, I went for a run along the highway and up and down a road leading to the local landfill.
Had a great stay with my daughter, grandson and granddaughter. Her husband is a Marine in Afghanistan. Ran one day with my grandson and spent a day with him at a Cub Scout day camp. Had lunch with him at his school twice and went to his tumbling class. Also, went to my 4 year old granddaughter's ballet/tap dance class. Got in a run everyday in the town of Richlands.
Left North Carolina yesterday and drove to Ogden, Alabama. Ran there last night upon arrival. That run completed two years on my current running streak. I still have a long ways to go to get back to my longest streak of 6 years, 9 months and 18 days.
I drove back to Huntsville today.

No comments: