Saturday, April 19, 2008

Starting a Blog

I spend a lot of time on the computer, much of it brousing running web sites, reviewing the blogs of runner friends and communicating with other runners. Jon Walk and Katy Lampson have suggested that I begin a blog. Since I signed up to run the 2009 Texas Independence Relay (TIR) with the Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic team, I feel obligated to at least try out blogging.
My running routine may be somewhat boring, in that I am a creature of habit. I run every day. A rest day means a shorter run. I tend to run the same races year after year, even though I try some new ones. I have only run one race outside the state of Texas. I spent 22 and a half years in the Army and 20 years with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. I have traveled all 50 states and lived in 9 of them. I also lived in Germany, France and Vietnam and made numerous overseas trips while in the Army and while working for the state. Except to visit the kids and relatives, traveling is not one of my priorities.
This morning, I drove over to College Station and ran the Cornerstone Cougar 5K. Had never run this race before. The weather was cool and the course was through a nice and fairly flat neighborhood. There were three in my 60-69 age group and I got 2nd with a time of 31:47. The 3rd place winner was an old friend, George Boykin. I visited with the race winner, Clint Sherrouse. Clint was the winner of the Huntsville Half Marathon in 2004 and 2005 and is a regular on the trails at the Huntsville State Park. There were probably less that 100 in the race and everyone won a door prize. Mine was a one-pound bag of Starbucks Coffee (suggested retail value $9.95, actual value 99 cents).

1 comment:

Katy Lampson said...

Your background is a beautiful shade of blue.