Thursday, June 2, 2016

It keeps on raining - and, bats

I know in a couple of months, we will be praying for rain.  But for now, there is too much.  I figured that there would be too much water on the trails at the park, so I ran the Avenues 5K course this evening.  It had quit raining, but it was very humid.  My wife and I went to the Farmhouse for dinner this evening.  It is down near the prison and the "bat warehouse."  It is an old warehouse that the prison system once used for cotton storage.  It is now home to many thousands of bats.  I suppose that it is now a local tourist attraction.  Since it was starting to get dark when we finished dinner, we decided for our first time to see the bats leave the warehouse at sunset.  They started swarming out at 8:23 and were still swarming out when we left 30 minutes later.  I am not sure what the latest count is, but it must be well over 100,000.  It is amazing how many are in that building.

No comments: