Sunday, March 1, 2015

3-Race Weekend

                 The Woodlands Half                       The Army Half  
                       
Busy weekend and all having to do with running.  I got up at 4 something yesterday morning and drove down to The Woodlands to run The Woodlands Half Marathon.  The temperature was in the high 30's and it did not warm up much during the race.  it rained for a while at about mile 8 and 9, but otherwise the weather was comfortable.  I finished in 2:58:05 (6th in age group), compared to 2:59:24 (3rd in age group) last year.  When I got back to Huntsville, I showered and took a one-hour nap.  Then, I drove 2 1/2 hours west to Temple for The Army Half Marathon.  I went straight to the expo to pick up my packet, then went to Mass at a church across town and then to a restaurant near the hotel.  I worked on race results for local runners for my newspaper column until I went to bed at 10:30.  Then, I got up at 5:15 this morning to go run the race.  My GPS sent me all over Temple before finding the race parking lot.  Then, I realized that I forgot my drop bag in the hotel.  It was camouflage in color, so I suppose it hid from me.  So, when I left my truck in the parking lot, I had to wear what I was going to run in.  I had to stand outside for a long time in the rain waiting on the shuttle bus to the start line.  I ended up getting to the start line about 15 minutes before race start at 7 a.m.  It was an out and back course.  The temperature was around 40, but strong winds made it brutal.  I finished in 2:56:03 (4th of 7 in age group).  Then, I had to stand in a long line for a shuttle bus back to the parking lot.  By then, the temperature was in the low 30's.  I finally got back to the truck and drove back to Huntsville.  I took another shower, a 30-minute nap and then drove down to The Woodlands for the Sunday Night 5K.  My streaker buddy, Vince Attanucci, was there and ran with me.  Normally, he runs fast, but he is recovering from a knee injury and is reduced to my pace.  We finished in 38:31.  I appreciate him running and visiting.  It would have otherwise seemed like a long 5K.  I stopped to eat on the way back to Huntsville.  Then, I started working on race results for the club web site.

1 comment:

Vince A. said...

Thanks for the shout-out Ken. It seemed like a long 5K to me! And I totally enjoyed it.