Saturday, August 16, 2014

Watermelon Run for the Fallen 5K


I drove an hour over to Hempstead this morning to run the Watermelon Run for the Fallen.  It is a non-competitive run to honor our fallen military heroes.  Jill and Kelly were there too.  A number of military ceremonies started about 7 a.m. and the race did not start until almost 9 a.m.  There were hundreds of runners and walkers.  Everyone was required to walk two laps around the track after the start.  After that, the runners left the gate and ran a course to downtown Hempstead.  According to my GPS, it was 2.8 from the gate to the finish line and my time was 33:50.  I ate plenty of watermelon after the race and met up with a lot of friends.  Several of the Team RWB from Houston that carried flags and accompanied me on the 101st and last marathon in February of this year were there.

No comments: