Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Knee Issue

I had a "knee issue" at Sunday's marathon in Athens, so I took it easy today. I had an interview with Lindsey, a reporter for the local Sam Houston State University TV station, this morning. She interviewed me at the track about the Seven Hills Running Club. She did a great job. Click HERE for her blog. Then, I went home and wrote and turned in my running column for tomorrow's newspaper. I met up with the group at the park this evening, but cut my run to 2.7 miles due to my knee problem. With another marathon next Sunday, I am concerned about the knee. I felt that it almost collasped on me several times in the Athens Marathon. It must have something to do with the 80% tear in my quadraceps where they connect to the knee. I will probably get my knee brace out of the closet and wear it on Sunday. Hopefully, it will provide some stability. With 19 marathons or longer since last October 10, I am only one away from completing my goal of 20 this season (October 10 - April 10). This Sunday is the Big D Marathon in Dallas. The forecast is for heat and rain. I guess that is why the Texas marathon season ends in April.

2 comments:

Miles of the Journey said...

Can't help it...gonna say it again. It is amazing what you have done; incredible ! Not surprised your knee might want to collaspe. I am surprised your whole body hasn't collasped. I am not going to say it is great at your age because it is great at any age.
Hats off to you..

Streaker said...

Thanks, Marvin. After running two marathons in one weekend last year and the 50-miler a couple months ago, I am absolutely convined that long distance running is primarily a mental game. Back in the early 80's, I thought it was humanly impossible to run more than 2 miles. I was a Lt. Col. at Fort Hood in 1983 and our 2-star commander took the senior officers out 4 miles on a bus after a staff meeting and made us run back to the conference room. That is what got me beyond the 2-mile mental limit. Then, I signed up for a 10K (1st of 524 races). How is your Ironman training going? I really enjoyed your book. Hope sales are going well.