Saturday, April 17, 2010

Blue Bell 10K

It was raining in Huntsville early this morning when I left for the 65-mile drive over to Brenham for the 32nd Blue Bell 10K. It was warm and humid in Brenham, but no rain. I had to park about an half mile from the race headquarters. I walk the half mile, picked up my packet, walked back to my truck and then back to race headquarters. The start line was about a quarter mile in the other direction. The race was suppose to start at 8:30, but it was nearly 9 before the actual start. Even though there are some tough hills, I like the course. I finished in 1:12:16. The post-race activities drug on forever. I left before they started the awards, drove straight home and did not get back until 1:15. This was my 9th time to do this race and am not sure I will do it again. Besides, this year they changed from 5 to 10-year age groups. I would not have placed in either case, but with about 1,000 runners in the 10K, 10-year age groups is ridiculous. It was nice to visit with a lot of friends, some of whom I have not seen in a long time.

2 comments:

Miles of the Journey said...

Blue Bell certainly doesn't sound as good as I remember it and certainly not worth the drive. Of course, I haven't done it in about 15 years. No ice cream post race? 10 year age groups with that many participants does not sound right to me either. I did get put in with a younger age group (I was the only one in my age group and oldest at the event) at a couple triathlons but they were small (less than 200 particpants) events.

Streaker said...

Yes, they had ice cream after the race. They always had 5-year age groups and changed to 10 year groups this year. With 830 finishers in the 10K, they should have had 5-year age groups. There are too many other races around.