Monday, January 15, 2024

Frost Flowers





It was 22 degrees this afternoon when I went to the park to run.  We had a light rain this morning, so the roads were pretty treacherous.  Two miles from my house, a truck was flipped over along the highway.  I ran 3.5 on the trails.  I ran into something that I had never seen before, Frost Flowers, sometimes called Ice Flowers.  Jason saw one at the park years ago and told me about it, so I new what they were when I saw them today.  The sap oozes out of slits on the stems of certain plants and freezes.  Obviously, the temperature has to be below freezing, the soil has to be moist or wet and other conditions have to be right.  I do not have a phone with a camera, so I went back to the park late this afternoon and took these photos.

No comments: