Thursday, April 16, 2015

Scary run

When I left Iron Works to go to the park to run, there was a tornado and hail warning out for the north side of Huntsville.  Since the park is 9 miles to the south, I figured it would be okay there.  Jason was the only  other runner to show up at the park.  It was raining, so we both decided to run on the roads.  About a tenth of a mile into the run, the sky opened up.  Extremely heavy rain and wind.  I decided to turn around at 6/10ths of a mile.  When nearing the turnaround point, the lightning got very heavy, frequent and close.  It got scary and dangerous.  I left the road and ran into the woods to get on a trail.  I figured that running through the trees would be better than the road..  The road and the trail both had deep water.  I was relieved to get back to the nature center and under cover.  Jason had made it a mile down to the lodge and took shelter until the lightning let up a bit.  While there, he saw a huge oak tree fall between two trucks in the parking lot.  There were two other large trees which had fallen on the road we were running.  Before going into the park, I parked at the outer parking lot and waited for other runners who wanted a ride into the park.  When I was leaving the park after running, I saw that a tree fell over in the parking lot in the same spot I had parked earlier.

No comments: