Saturday, February 2, 2013

River Road Half Marathon

I ran laps at the track yesterday before making the 3-hour+ drive over to New Braunfels, north of San Antonio, to run the River Road Half Marathon this morning.  Perfect running weather - 50's/60's and clear.  I ran this race last year with my hamstring pulls and finished in 2:59 something.  My legs felt better this morning.  It is an out and back course along the Guadalupe River.  The first mile was a steep downhill, then the course was relatively flat and until you get to the last mile uphill.  I hit the turnaround point at 1:20.  I kept hearing a car following me and I turned around and saw that it was the sheriff.  I was in last place (of 78 runners).  It was a narrow 2-lane road and there was a lot of traffic.  While I was a little embarrassed about being in last place, I appreciated the protection from the traffic coming from the rear.  When I got to the last aid station 2 miles before the finish, 4 high school students (all Army ROTC) who had been operating the aid station, joined me for the run to the finish.  With a mile to go, 20 more Army ROTC cadets joined me for the last mile.  They were really excited when I told them that I was a retired US Army Lt. Colonel.  Visiting with them that last 2 miles was most enjoyable and I had a nice visit with their leader at the finish.  I finished the race in 2:48:04, first and only one in my 70 and over age group.

1 comment:

Miles of the Journey said...

Sounds like you had a very good experience, Ken. And being able to impart some of that wisdom to the cadets: a plus. You sound good.
great !