Monday, December 6, 2010

White Rock Marathon

I ran laps in Huntsville Friday morning before leaving for Dallas for the White Rock Marathon on Sunday. Friday night, I came down with a sinus infection and high temperature. On Saturday, I went to the Expo at Fair Park in Dallas to pick up my packet, Then, I got in a run on the roads in Wylie (northwest of Dallas) where I was staying. That night, my temperature went up over a 100 and I got little sleep. On Sunday, I got up at 5 a.m. and got to the race about 7:15 a.m. It was cold (high 30's) and windy and I was obviously not very comfortable with my sinus problem. However, I met up with Dee, who I met and run with at the Tyler Rose Marathon and subsequently at the Fort Worth Marathon. Tyler was her first marathon and she has really improved. Dee and I were in one of the last corrals to start. The first corral started at 8 a.m. and we started about 45 minutes later. We ran the first couple miles together and then she left me in her dust. I knew that I was running slower and when I checked my time at the half way mark, it was confirmed. My half way time was 2:59 and it is usually about 2:40. I never walked any of the race and finished in 6:14:18 (37 minutes slower than my last marathon in Fort Worth on November 14). I was disappointed in my time, but at the same time glad that I did not wimp out. Dee and her friends were waiting for me at the finish line and I appreciated that. I was really beat after the race and my high fever came back Sunday night. I returned to Huntsville this afternoon and had an appointment with my doctor late this afternoon. I finally went to Nautilus about 9 p.m. tonight. Worked out and then ran 1+ miles on the treadmill. I should be back to normal tomorrow. Next is the Texas Trail 50K at Huntsville State Park this Saturday. I will still be on antibiotics, so I will be infection-free.

2 comments:

Vince A. said...

Trouper. Take a rest day or two on me. I ran with young son Mike and had a blast until he dropped me like a bag of dirt! Youth always prevails.

Streaker said...

Congratulations to you and Mike. He did not beat you by much and you were both super fast. You were probably back in The Woodlands having a beer by the time I crossed the finish line.